View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 06:27 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Day 87 – 28 March 2024
One of my favorite Oriole pitchers from the 1970s was Mike Cuellar. I often think him and McNally don’t get enough respect outside of us old timers that remember their greatness firsthand. Brooks annd Cuellar did a lot of damage together over the years to AL teams…post season, too. Anyway, today I am showing you a very unique piece from 1972 made of solid brass and weighs 2.6 pounds and measures 8 inches. It is about a quarter inch thick. This is a foundry template for a 1972 Esso Oil Latin American player coin. I believe 7 latin players (Oliva, Marichal, Aparicio, Cedeno, Cuellar, Millan, Montanez). The players were celebrated with a coin handed out at the Esso Gas Stations in Puerto Rico. I was lucky to find this one, which I mounted on an orange circular board. Surprised to see Clemente was not part of this grouping. When I received my Cuellar, it was pretty raw but after some time with some “cleaners” I got it to shine. I am also showing you the actual coin graded in a PSA slab. I really enjoy the “Miguel” Cuellar version.
I’m definitely a Cuellar fan, but you’re right that he doesn’t get enough credit along with McNally. That is one cool piece that you have there.