View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 01:20 PM

Default Graded vs. Raw Rant.......

So, I grew up in the 80s and collecting mostly mid-80s as a kid but many of those players have cards in the 70's some even the 60's.

While looking at some favorite RC's such as Mattingly, Gooden, Murray, Brett, etc, etc. I started having some questions. What exactly is my thing with PSA graded, I mean I do have virtually all my Koufax PC as PSA graded which I would never change......

BUT...……...when I look at most anything after 1970 and especially mid 70's and 80's its pretty easy to find a decent raw card in EX-MT or NM or even better in bulk. Yeah they might be slightly off center (actually its relatively easy to find centered on many cards TBH) and maybe not MINT or GEM MINT.

So where is that sort of cut off where you go, it has to be graded? I mean I get a RC of say Rose but I'm guessing a Carlton in Ex raw isn't a big deal.

It just strikes me that aside from the 50's and maybe early 60's there is such a major supply in decent shape what is the draw to graded for these?

It seems if I can find 1970 Topps baseball in Ex or better basically in bulk what draws someone to go buy it graded?

Open to thoughts from the experts.....