View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Default The Depression of 2008

Posted By: LetsGoBucs

"Medicare also needs to be cut by 30% and the harsh truth is that some people will go without healthcare."

You volunteering, 'Bucs?

-----------

Actually, I already live in this environment. I live/work overseas in various countries for many years and I'm not covered by the local health care system for anything more than basic local (less than what we would consider acceptable) treatment. My company sponsored international health care coverage doesn't cover a specific medical condition that I have (which is a periodic recurring expense sometimes as much as 30K in a year - sometimes zero). So I make choices about when/what type of expenditures I will make. The harsh reality of life is that health care is just like other commodities - it has a cost and is limited - its more emotional and the advancement in technology allows us to make choices not available 20-30 years ago (which we often forget).

And I can say that our healthcare payment system is screwed up. If you have insurance (and therefore at least gainfully employed), you pay $100 charge to the hospital for procedure A. If you don't have insurance (and therefore probably on the lower rung economically), the same procedure will cost you $500. The difference is that the hospital has made up the stupid $500 charge to negotiate with insurance companies - and settled for $100 - but have to charge others the $500 so that they can keep negotiating with the insurance company. Brilliant!!

So yes I've already volunteered. I guess what my statement should say is that some will go without government supported health care.

Its an emotional subject without easy answers. But the economics around it are very easy to understand.