View Single Post
Old 05-15-2021, 09:54 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
A test is to look at the other stuff the seller sells. If it is also antique stuff that appears authentic, that means the seller appears to have a running knowledge, feel and experience for old stuff.

When I would buy expensive rare antique photos on eBay I would always check what else the seller sold. If he sold other photos that I knew were authentic that was evidence the seller had knowledge about what he was selling. From the variety of other antique photos the seller sold and the knowledgeable ways he described them, you could quickly identify a seller who knew old photos.

On the flip side, if the seller is selling nothing else remotely related to the rare item or a lot of cheap reprints and fakes, you know you should have strong skepticism.
I'm not really sure that really helps in determining the authenticity of this piece. Yes if the seller had a Feedback of (0) or even (18) that would be a HUGE flag. OR......if they sold Fakes as you mentioned, but that is pretty much a no-brainer with sellers to avoid and doesn't apply here. His Feedback is like (1800) and no history of fakes.

And just because they sell antiques I don't know that would qualify them for knowing if this piece was fake or real. They can't know every category of item. Shit Rick Harrison has bought a few fakes, and while some may not like Rick, I feel he does have a wide array of knowledge. And I personally have great knowledge and can tell Real vs. Fake on vintage baseballs & vintage tickets, but i couldn't guarantee a Real/Fake autograph or vintage W.S. pin. So this seller may know some antiques, but not others. So again sorry, but I can't get on board with the knowledgeable antique seller theory. It's very hard to know all baseball memorabilia.

I thought you, since you wrote on Fakes/Reproductions would know from the material, the coloring, the printing, the aging, etc. that you spoke of in your very interesting book that Bryan mentions (and provides a link to) in Post 46 of this thread?

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 05-16-2021 at 08:09 AM.