View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 05:38 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
They have to get new slabs. Honestly, it is baffling to me that they didn't do this in the wake of covid with all the new ultra-modern stuff up for grabs. In vintage land, some of us are OK with the slabs, we're at least used to them and the tux look does have a bit of a pleasing aesthetic, but the slabs are still unnecessarily gigantic and cheap looking. But on the modern side of the hobby, the slabs are an absolute joke. NOBODY wants them for ultra-modern cards. NOBODY. They get laughed at by the modern crowd. They refer to them as "the dollar store slabs". They are effectively only used as a PSA pre-grading service in the modern market. But their grades are respected. If SGC had come out with a nice modern looking slab, similar to CGC's slab, they would have already gained MASSIVE market
I can’t speak for the modern side of the hobby because I don’t collect anything after 1980 but I feel just the opposite about the slabs. I love the SGC slab and hate the PSA slab with that ugly red label. Looks super cheap to me like low-grade plastic and when you add in the condoms that they use, it looks even worse,