View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 08:29 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Meaningful Worthless Card Stories

It’s not much, but this is one of my very first vintage cards. I had thought all of these were long gone, but found this one in a box I had forgotten about in the basement last night. This is from probably 1987 or 1988 in Cornelius, NC - and an antique mall in our small town had several boxes of older cards for sale, and others that were just on display. I later learned the cards were from the collection of former Milwaukee Braves catcher Paul Burris, who lived in the area. The “1954” stamp you see on the bottom of this card was put on there by him. I picked out a generous helping of cards that were for sale, which Mom allowed me to take home. The cards that I remember that were there but NOT for sale, included a 1954 Topps Ted Williams and a 1933 Goudey Gabby Harnett.

Especially with the onset of the holidays after the loss of my mother earlier this year, I find myself turning to the cards as tangible survivors of a childhood that was steeped in my parents love and tender care. We rarely realize how lucky we are while we are experiencing such moments, but it’s funny how things can come back to hit you later in life and let you know for sure. Happy Holidays, folks...[emoji4]

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-13-2019 at 08:30 AM.