Thread: August pick ups
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2021, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
I just acquired this 6½ x 8½ glass plate negative of the 1912 U.S. Olympic rifle team. Though not a full plate this is the largest one that I now own, most of the others being 4x5.

This was listed as the 1908 team, but I knew otherwise. I already own a formal team shot of the 1912 team fully identified. Probably one of the few in existence as the US Olympic Committee does not even have one. The clue for me was the shortest man in the center. That is Harris Laning, Lt Commander at the time he was an admiral during WWI. He was the non-competing team captain which was not uncommon back then. I believe that the negative and my original photo were taken at the same time as they are all standing in the same order in each image.

I did not want to start up my pro photo scanner so I just captured the image from the ebay listing.

My photo is 5x7 mounted on an 8½ x 9 mat with a nice 2+ inch margin on the bottom embossed with a coat of arms.
Dang!!!!!!