View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Default The days of "a great deal" appear gone forever

Posted By: tbob

Maybe it's just the stuff I collect, but the great bargains for E94s, E98s, M116 rare backs, D311s, etc. are just not there, on ebay or off. Sure you can find nice deals on lower grade T206s, there's a zillion of them around, but I long for the time only 4 or 5 years ago when you could actually buy a lot of 3 E90-1 tough cards(Sweeney, Graham and Walsh), in creaseless and nice shape for around $700 in a major auction or an E94 Cobb, E95 Plank and E95 Wagner, all creaseless for less than $1500 in Leland's. These were all lots I bought in just a few short years ago. You used to also be able, a couple of years ago, pick up some nice cards at a super deal from smaller auctions like Barry Sloate, etc. Not very often anymore.
Again, I think the only way to get the super deal anymore is: 1) miscategorized on ebay 2) mislabeled on ebay 3) raw cards from sellers with little or no feedback or 4) other red flags which scare people like on the T206 Pirate Tinker (Gary N.)that turn out to be no flags at all and just a terrific pickup. I'm not one of the "gee cards were cheaper 25 years ago" guys, I am talking about cards for sale just 4-5 years ago when 95% were collecting. I see guys now trying to start collecting the E90-1 set or the E94 set and wish them the best, the prices have become outrageous.