View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 07:46 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default The Willie Mays price boom

As I noted here last week, I have returned to collecting after a four-year break (and an unfortunate sell off of most cards BEFORE the recent value surge) to finish another book and two films. So I am looking around with fresh eyes and noticing some amazing things. I'll do a separate thread on the astonishing t206 surge but for now, what about the steady climb (and still going) for all decent Willie Mays cards? Why now and why him? Of course, he was my favorite growing up, and now "greatest living player," but that's been true for quite awhile....

So why now--and will it continue?

And are all '50s-60s greats now about to follow in his wake? Someone mentioned last week that several giants have not surged, such as Frank Robinson. Well, last night at PWCC a Frank Robby 1961 PSA 8 more than doubled its previous high. Will Koufax and Aaron follow etc.? Or maybe there will be just a NM and above frenzy....Anyway, it's clear the HOF '50s and '60s are hot. Maybe it's because to older people, that era--after more and more years have passed--now seems like a century ago, and these cards feel more and more like pre-war and not from our childhood. And certainly to younger, news collectors, they certainly seem ANCIENT.