View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Steve Murray

"Nine years later eight of the thirteen of these postcards are being offered in the current REA Auction - Lot#132."

Firstly, I would like to clarify this statement. The eight cards in the REA auction are not from the original thirteen we purchased in 2004. I still have ten in my collection and the other three are presumably still in the collection of one of our group who purchased the cards.

To make Jerry happy I will refer to these cards as "Homemade on Rose PC blank stock and not part of the Rose company issued set".

What I find interesting is that there was at least two of these sets created at the same time. I have compared the REA lot with mine and the pictures are exactly the same. Parentetically then I dispute that these are Type I photos as stated by REA.

The set is interesting to me, notwithstanding that it is not part of the issued set, in that it does in fact include identifiable players. Both Shano Collins and Harl Maggert are pictured as is Joe Connor brother of HOFer Roger Connor. I have confirmed that all of the players pictured were in fact on the 1909 Springfield MA Ponies team.

Here are pics of the thirteen from the original "find".

Here's Shano Collins: