View Single Post
Old 11-22-2022, 11:55 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I guess I find myself more in Greg's camp on this. Like the 52 Mantle, Thompson and Robinson the CL was printed twice on the same sheet and has differences and hence, to me, are variations. But I need both to have a complete "master" set.

I know Carlton, whose views I highly respect....and yours as well...differ from mine, and that's fine by me
I agree with the 52s that the Mantle, Thomson and JRob are true DPs, they had twice the number of cards printed than other cards it their SAME series. And yes, with these DPs, each copy is distinguishable from the other version. Many true DPs are not.

My understanding of what a DP is, it is simply a card that appears twice a frequently as single printed cards from the SAME series.

The fine mesh and wide mesh 68 Marichal checklists (and any Topps checklist from that appeared in multiple series) are not DPs because they appear in separate series. Obviously due to appearing in two separate series, there would be twice as many copies of the checklist cards from the individual player cards from those two series. And yes, a checklist card could be a DP within the same series.

The reason both Marichal checklists (the copy from the 1st series and the one from the 2nd series) appear in the MB set, is that Topps simply used entire rows from both the 1968 Topps 1st and 2nd series sheets and placed these full rows onto the MB 132 card sheet. It just so happened that two rows both started with a Marichal checklist card, one from the 1st series, the other from the 2nd. While it may be a coincidence that these two rows starting with the Marichal CL were chosen, I get the 1st series choice as it has Gibson on the row.

For me, no question that this MB Marichal card would be a DP if Topps used the same row twice on the MB sheet, and in that case all 11 cards on that row would be DPs as compared to the rest of the sheet.

Not to beat on a dead horse though, folks should collect what they want and how they want.