View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default Why more Reprints?

Posted By: warshawlaw

I see that I did in fact qualify my assessment of who were the idiots out there by referencing the listing. So there!!! (just joking).

People who read a listing stating that an item is a reprint and still buy it are buying a reprint; if they think otherwise, they ARE idiots or they are greedily gambling on the reprint assessment being incorrect. Hey, I did that once myself (bought a lot of exhibit baseball cards listed as reprints for under a buck a card, figuring that if they were reprints, I'd have nice display and autograph platforms and if they were real, I get over. They were reprints, but very nice for display). If they decide to break the law and try to resell an item purchasedd as reprint as an original, that is their decision. It has nothing to do with the reprint seller's right to sell his accurately described goods.

I do agree with Scott that if you are going to plunge into big ticket vintage cards you had better do major homework first AND (I would add) deal with a reputable professional dealer for your first few cards AND (I would add) consider (gasp!) a "reputable" (I know, I know) grading service as a third party opinion. If this is too much trouble to safeguard four figure purchases, then you are bound to lose eventually. Ignorance will kill you in any collectible field.