View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
First time in a long time I have been able to add anything to my 1971 Bucs Collection. I picked up this gorgeous 1970-71 Gene Clines jersey from Net54 member Clint (ksfarmboy). Many thanks Clint I couldn’t be happier! As far as I can tell there are six versions of this pin and a Zum Zum vendor version. I believe that with this 2.5” pin I now have all seven. These four team issued 1971 photos bring my total to 34 different individual team members. I believe I now have all of them unless Coach Frank Oceak has a photo I am unaware of. His head shot in the Baltimore World Series program has a background all others do not. This leads me to believe that this shot was added solely for the World Series program. There may be head shots of Frank Brosseau and a Frank Tavares out there I am unaware of. Brosseau pitched two innings and faced five batters in 1971 and Taveres never came to bat and debuted on September 25th which was game #159. Due to these factors they may not have included head shots of either player. However Rimp Lanier batted four times in 1971 and there was a team issued photo featuring his image. If you have seen Brosseau and Taveres 1971 head shots I would love to hear from you!
Congratulations on the Clines jersey pickup. It's in nice shape. So many Pirates jerseys of that era have letters and numbers that are a bit washed out (and sometimes replaced) because of later use. While I suppose the Pirates can be blamed (or credited, depending on your point of view) for ushering in the era of pullover knit jerseys, I'm very nostalgic for some of those '70s era designs and like the "old gold" and black combination. And, of course, that particular jersey design brings back so many great memories of some fantastic Bucco players and teams.