Thread: T206 Qs
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 11:24 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
Adding a zero to just about every T206 I own, is how much the prices have changed. The biggest problem with that, is I can't justify paying the 10x price, after paying the 1x price over ten years straight. Averaging 150 to 300 cards a year, and now I'm lucky if I add 5 cards a year. Because of the current prices, I don't enjoy the set as much as I used to. But I still watch for certain cards, and actually won a T206 last night. I did have that feel good feeling, after winning. So I just need to accept the new price levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
+1,000,000

Have the exact same problem/issue. Extreme difficulty rationalizing the dramatically increased prices for many cards out there, and then ever be willing to actually pay that much for them now. Can't help but remember when I could usually get cards at/for a particular price level/range. And despite fully knowing about and being completely aware and accepting of inflation and other things that may push some prices up over time, still can't justify in my mind paying what now seems like some ridiculously high and undeserving prices. Maybe a bit of an "I'm a collector and this is a hobby." thinking, versus "This is an investment that is going to take off." thinking. Possibly/probably also a function of that inherent, innate resistance many, many people have to change, and its effects on things in our lives.
Just to follow up on Bob's post. Is my T206 collection worth a ton more than it was in say 2018? Hell yeah!! But do I have more fun collecting the set now, with the higher prices? Hell no!! Would I bring back the 2010-2018 prices, even if that meant that I'd lose the insane gain in value of my collection? A big YES!! I was having the most fun in 2011-2015 than I ever had in my whole life collecting something. Because the fun was in the searching and the chase, plus the motivation to continue was the ability to afford a few new cards per week, especially with them being off backs. It was a special time, kinda like being a teenager in the late 80's. Some things can't be replicated.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11