View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 10:41 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandor View Post
I have talked to some upper management people there. I believe that they can be that stupid!

If I did use the 1099-K form for my taxes, would the IRS/CFTB question me using a form they never got? I know the run reports and can find out immediately if you didn't use the 1099-K to file. However, would they run a report the reverse way to see if you used a 1099-K form that they never received. I guess they wouldn't care since reported income means more money for them.
You got it exactly right, what isn't reported to them, they don't know about and they don't really care. They get concerned when they see a taxpayer isn't paying tax on something they do know about. They assume most all taxpayers are generally honest and voluntarily report all sales on their tax returns (And you thought Ebay was stupid?). So if anything, the IRS probably expects to see more returns with higher reported taxable sales than what was being reported on those same taxpayer's 1099-K form(s) than not.

Sounds like you'll be okay filing your 2021 returns as you had in earlier years. Good luck.

And as for Ebay's intelligence, I was trying to be nice and give them the benefit of the doubt. LOL