View Single Post
Old 01-28-2022, 06:59 AM
Frank Wakefield

I had a tax professor who left the classroom for a couple of weeks to go to DC to help with the Tax Reform Act of 1986. And when that Act became law it set things in motion that culminated in the greatest loss of life of Americans ever, occurring on April 15, 1987.

Just over 5 million Americans vanished. Before the Tax Reform Act of 1986, someone filing a 1040 just listed a number for minor children in the household. But the TRA of 86 placed a requirement of listing a minor child's SS# on the new returns. Taking into consideration that 17 year olds from the previous year would have turned 18, and subtracting out newborn children for that tax year, the returns filed in 1987 showed that there were just over 5 million kids who were claimed as dependents the previous year and who should be showing up on the 1987 returns for tax year 1986, but no one claimed them. Those kids vanished.

In the old days newborns didn't get a SS# application sent in as part of being in the hospital. I didn't. A few years after my (younger) brother was born, I recall Dad showing me that a SS card had arrived in the mail for me. Mom and Dad applied for both of us. Dad kept up with the cards, I was maybe 8 or 9, and if I'd gotten it then I'd have lost it. My brother and I have consecutive SS#s. About 30 years later my twins are born, the hospital is getting info for SS applications, and when their cards arrive their numbers are quite different. My old card has a line on it on the front, "not to be used for identification purposes," which greatly amuses me because that's exactly how it's used and they no longer put that on the cards.