View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I'm in your camp on this one. I'd still have a good time going (if only for a day or two) but it probably wouldn't be worth the money in the long run. One reason to go for me would be to get some of the newer hof'ers to sign my hof book or any other hof project I have started...although they probably could be obtained at the actual hof show in Cooperstown and I'd get to go to the museum too.
Before I even finished reading your post, I was all ready to suggest doing what you concluded it with! They had a very nicely rounded lineup of signers this year, that's for sure. If next year looks similar, maybe go that route. Sounds like you think you'd have a better time in that environment, and I can't blame you one bit.

You never know who you're going to bump into during the festivities. In '89, I went specifically for Yaz. Seated on the lawn next to us was an older couple. It turned out to be Yaz' first ever manager in semi-pro ball. Got to spend hours with him and his wife. Great people. Met a few genuinely kind old HOFers who were signing for $2-3 each and waived the fee for me for no reason at all other than to be nice to a kid. 10 minutes later, I bumped into Tom Hume at the same card show. He was there as a fan and collector, just like the rest of us. Who knew he collected 1980's Topps Coins?!