View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 08:59 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Yeah, I was of the "You won't know what is there until you go" camp. I kept going, and going...and nothing. For years. Other people I know shared the same experience. Mind you, this is strictly regarding autographs; I wasn't there for anything else.

I still have many colleagues who are forced to attend for the sake of business. They've continued to say the same thing as I have in their annual play-by-plays of the event. The good autographed material goes to the auction houses. The majority of this stuff is rehashed and familiar to anybody who has been collecting for more than a few years.

Don't get me wrong, there will come a show sometime in the future that will be great. That's just the law of averages coming into play. I'll surely regret not attending THAT show, but not knowing when it will happen, combined with all the ones where nothing happens except a lighter wallet, makes staying at home a much more desirable option.

Many people love the social aspect of the show. If I want to visit with any hobby friends or customers, I'll take a road trip and go see them. Much more comfortable and relaxed.

The money I wasted has earned me the right to piss and moan.
I'm in your camp on this one. I'd still have a good time going (if only for a day or two) but it probably wouldn't be worth the money in the long run. One reason to go for me would be to get some of the newer hof'ers to sign my hof book or any other hof project I have started...although they probably could be obtained at the actual hof show in Cooperstown and I'd get to go to the museum too.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete