View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default E222 AWH and AWA Caramels...AWA is no miss print...

As I continue to help with cataloging a type collection coming to market I am doing more and more research. With the write up of the E222s (AWH Caramels), one of the things that was originally written was that there was only 1 known AWA back, which was corrected to now understanding there are at least 3 known. What hasn't been known is what the super rare AWA has stood for. Originally it was thought to be a typo but with the uncovering of the other 2, approximately 5 yrs ago, we now know it probably wasn't a typo. I have a theory that I believe might hold water for that initial. Arthur W. Havens was the maker and his initials AWH are on the back of the cards (except the 3 with AWA). Thanks to Tim Cath.ey and OldCardboard Magazine (issue 23) we now know he had children, 3 sons. They were Oscar, Arthur E. and Wilbur. I think there is a chance the AWA was the first initials of himself and two of his sons, as is commonly seen in business. So the AWA could have been Arthur (Sr.), Wibur, and Arthur E. (jr.)....giving it the AWA back. I am sure this thread will get all of the attention of cows chewing their cud but hey, no worries. I am still having fun!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe222master4x.jpg (75.5 KB, 371 views)