View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 01:14 PM

I think the main thing to think about is the era, by the 1920's people were getting autographs and players were signing baseballs. I dont know why, but basically this did not happen pre 1920. I bet there are maybe 50 team signed balls in the entire hobby that pre-date WW1 and maybe a handful of single signed balls that were mostly trophy balls and from the players estates and not really autographed for the signature alone by a fan. Once you get into the 1920's you find them rarely and by the late 1920's there are tons of signed album pages and baseballs and things like that.

You can pretty much sum it up as Pre WW1 (c. 1920), be VERY skeptical even if authenticated on any single signed baseball. Many of the authenticated Ansons and Planks that have sold in major auctions with authentication are bogus, I wouldn't touch em with a 10 foot pole. Team baseballs are super rare too but you find them from time to time as keepsakes and almost always from players estates and not obtained by fans.

Rhys