View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 07:43 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
That same card could have gone for $950 a week before or after. I think I got it cheap, but another in about the same condition went unsold at an $899 starting price a week or two earlier, so who knows. It is not the greatest $835 Demmitt, but I've seen worse. My ceiling was $910 on it, but the scans were horrible, and I thought it might be an upgrade.

When you are dealing with 'poor', 'poor-fair', 'fair' and even 'good' graded cards with book values of $1000+, there are all sorts of ridiculous prices paid for equally ridiculous reasons, mostly involving buying the holder instead of the card, and there is also the 'flip' anomaly to consider: PSA 1's can be labelled 'poor' or 'poor-fair', depending on age. Some flip collectors will bid up a 'poor-fair' 1 that is uglier than a 'poor' 1, even though both are '1's.

Also, 'poor' can mean the dog chewed it up and spit it out, or it can be quite presentable. 'Good' can have a crease right through the player's eyeballs and often looks worse than a 'fair'.

But with this value of card, the flip game can work in the buyer's favor: I try to pay 'poor' flip prices for 'poor' graded cards that have good eye appeal.
So for you 2700$ + 400 in custom fee for these card are too high?