View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 PM

Default c1922 Harvard Football Cigar Box - Tobbaco, Sculpture, Football Come Together

Photobucket
8 1/8" wide x 7" tall with lid open x 5 1/2" deep

Photobucket
In lineup with it's big brother

Photobucket

Photobucket

Got this in the mail today....Boy do these cigar boxes get dry and fragil, which I hate!...The lid hinge attached by paper is very intact, not split or anything....but sure makes me nervous, I'm careful with it nevertheless!...Been finding so much lately was reluctant to get it....But based on not many people would know the story on it...and my thing for antique sports sculpture...Interesting piece...it sort of has the kiss of Canada...but then it doesn't...not always, but I usually pass on Canadian stuff....Here's the story...

Photobucket

The image of the football scrimmage is a statue titled "The Onslaught" sculpted by R. Tait McKenzie who as I recall I was a professor at U. Penn. c1900...McKenzie spent five years working on it...The original work is 36" wide, 15" tall....and probably the greatest football sculpture on the planet...I don't know how many were cast but very few I'm sure would be accurate...I would be surprised if six were done...You can read more about McKenzie in my Yale Trophy Room feature I did last May...I can't recall ever seeing sports sculpture featured in product advertising...So if for nothing else that put it over the gotta have it goal line!

Below is another Feb. P/U...a bronze basketball fob...I think this is the first fob I've ever bought, as I generally like bigger stuff....but this one had me!!..

Photobucket

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 02-23-2012 at 05:50 PM.