View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Marc S.

Default The future

Why buy from an untrusted seller? Even with 100% feedback, you're playing with fire. If you don't know the person you're buying from, I would simply stay away. Too much downside for risk.

I didn't think GAI still existed. There are a lot of complaints about PSA's gasket and the damage in shipping. I'd say graded is likely better at some break point in collecting time -- perhaps 1973 and before.

As for modern packs, there are a few key issues to consider:
A) Grading likely won't help for anything 2000 and after. Usually I'd only recommend unopened boxes because of the seeded lottery mentality of such product.
B) Redemptions. In so many products, it has a long term issue on value. Why have an unopened box of 2001 Bowman Chrome, for example, knowing that a Pujols pull is impossible?
C) Variety. There's literally dozens of different sets being produced each year now. Collecting tastes will continue to evolve, and it is not clear which sets may stand the test of time. Moreso given the notion that the area where most valuation is today is in the lottery mentality of a few hits per box with the remainder largely throwaway. To the extent that continues, singles may continue to spark interest in a way that unopened does not.