View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
He's not saying Santo is a hair below "a guy who's already in the Hall", he's saying Santo is a hair below the greatest third baseman of all time. If we didn't give guys credit for being a hair below the greatest at their position, there would be only nine players in the Hall (actually some people might like that!)

Living through the 60s, I thought Santo was the best third baseman in his league, the NL counterpart to Brooks Robinson. I was surprised that a couple of people dismissed his diabetes when considering his case -- I would think overcoming a huge physical challenge is most certainly part of what helps define a Hall of Famer in any field.

I also believe Hodges should be a definite -- I think he belongs on his playing career alone, but I've never understood how when you throw in the fact that he was the manager of one of the most miraculous WS winning teams of all time, he still gets no love.

Greg

p.s. I always liked Coco Laboy -- I got his autograph in Cooperstown when the Expos played the White Sox in the HOF game in 1970 ( I think that was the year).
No, I know - I am the one saying it But it is the logic that is frequently used here, especially by Minnesota Twins fans. It's really amazing how many Twins are almost HOF caliber.

You might be right about Santo being the best 3rd baseman during the '60s. We didn't have a lot to chose from, though, and I wouldn't consider that enough of a criteria to vote him in.

But your logic about having only nine in the HOF is tough for me to follow. The only way that holds up is if the first nine at their positions are never surpassed. Besides, if memory serves me, I don't think the initial HOF class was nine different positions, but I might be wrong (too lazy to look it up). Also, if you think nine is a good total number for the HOF, that's certainly your right - I wouldn't be against giving it a numerical limit, and then replacing people every now and then. Kind of like dropping off the top twenty list in total home runs - no disgrace in that.

The HOF is always going to a source of conflict, as everyone has their own ideas about what the quality level should be, and also longevity requirements. I'm one of those who thinks Koufax is a no-brainer by anyone's standards, but I also think Maris should be in, simply because of what he meant to the game. By the same token, I couldn't argue against Curt Flood (but I would anyway). And I despise the 'longevity' argument that got Niekro and Sutton in.

Fun discussions, in any event.

Scott <=== average for so long that he should be considered great

Last edited by Runscott; 11-04-2011 at 08:58 PM.