Thread: exit strategy?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 07:14 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default Life Insurance or Charity

I've thought lots about this. If I die young or unexpected, my cards will act as a second life insurance policy. I regularly review different auction company options with my wife so she knows where to liquidate them.

If I die old, I plan to sell my cards just before I die and give 100% of the proceeds to charity. I decided this when I started collecting again because it's completely illogical for a grown man to spend four-figures on a small piece of cardboard. I feel better knowing that I'm giving a delayed gift to a charitable cause.

Also, I don't care at all about my card's values because it's all going to charity some day anyway. In fact, part of me would love to see the market tank so I can buy all the cards I can't afford today.

I am making it very clear to my kids that they won't receive anything of value (including cards) when I die. They'll get family heirlooms of no monetary value (and I'd consider throwing in some t206 beater commons) but I don't want them to be thinking of the value of my estate as I get older.

So that's my plan. I hope to live to the day where I get to see my collection sold at auction -- in fact, I'd like to write up the auction catalog descriptions