View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I remember two exciting times of opening packs.

The first was around 1988 and I ordered an unopened box of 1987 Donruss Baseball for $50 and 3 packs of 1984 Donruss Baseball for $5 each from a dealer listing in SCD. All I can remember about the 1987 Donruss Box was I didn't get the Mark Mcgwire Rated Rookie. The 1984 Donruss packs I opened later that night and the first one I picked up, I could see the name on the back of the card showing faintly through the wax paper and it was the Don Mattingly Rookie. I gently opened the pack up and there he was. Perfectly centered with 4 sharp corners. I didn't mind the light wax on the back of the card. At the time, this card was not affordable for me to buy and never thought i'd get one. One of the other packs had a Kevin McReynolds RR.

The second was early in 1989 when Upper Deck was released. It was about a week after the Dale Murphy Reversed Negative was discovered. I had plans to go to a local monthly card show that weekend and someone there was selling unopened early packs. I bought 3 packs at $10 each. I opened them when I got home. The first two had nothing good that I remember but the last pack as I was slowly searching through the cards, I saw the back of the Dale Murphy. I was told by my mother that I started to shake and when I turned the card over and saw everything reversed, she said I stopped breathing for about a minute .

I've opened thousands of packs over the years but those two cards that I still own today, I will remember forever.

Ronnie73