View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 PM

I remember 15 or so years ago you could do well
buying raw cards off of Ebay and getting them graded.
It seems that mentality is still prevalent with some, and yes it's
greed. These shady dealers, although not actually breaking laws, are skating on the edge of the law and definitely unethical.
In most cases they seem to deal in cards under $1000- which makes
a difficult case. If it was a huge amount, it's possible the law would be all over dealers like this. But it's not worth it for cards that sell for a few hundred if that.

Now Candiman11, I dealt with him a few times. I agree with what was originally said. He always would photograph the cards at an angle so you couldn't quite see the condition accurately. Then he makes a disclaimer that he doesn't 'grade' cards. If you're a dealer then you should be able to grade cards.
I bought cards from him a few times, nothing big mostly '71 and '72 Topps. I sent back my last order as being not acceptable . He refunded my money probably cause the order was 20 cards and thats alot of negatives to leave.

One of my fondest ebay memories came from him.
I bid on '72 Clemente, '72 Mays, '71 Ryan, '72 Fisk, '72 Carew- among the 20 or so. The last 4 hrs of the auction, the ebay search function went down. You couldn't search for cards. Only way you could bid was if you already had a bid in.
Well for less than $40 I got all those cards. The Ryan was $7 the Clemente was $4
When I got the cards in the mail, I was pleased with the condition.
Ironically, ebay sent me an email with a 10% discount on my next order.
If I was the dealer I would have been furious.