View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Great work Matthew!, it looks to me like a 2nd "no name" card has been identified. I'm not surprised it is an 1889 Denver card. As stated earlier, it looks like many of the 1889 Denver cards were issued without a block text name panel for part of the production run even though the script name on the negative was tough to read (or in this case outside of the cropping imposed on the N172 card). Perhaps after realizing the script name on the negative was hard to read on the small N172 cards, they thought better of it and added the block text panels. This very McQuaid pose which has no name (or an extremely tough one to see), may have been responsible for the 24 image sheet to be re-created with the block text panels. I've attached an example of McQuaid both ways.

No Name N172 Checklist:
112-2 - Con Daley - R/hand on him, L/arm at side
318-3 - James McQuaid - Catch, hands outstretched head high on L

The Old Judge book actually shows the "no name" McQuaid (different example than the one posted below) but the image is a bit lighter and I previously thought the script name was there but difficult to see. The example you provided more clearly shows the name is not there.

Keep searching, perhaps we can add more poses to the list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McQuaid w and wo name composite.jpg (41.6 KB, 99 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 08-13-2011 at 08:55 AM.