View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Sell. Sentiment is nice but business is business. For a peon like me a ball like that has the potential to yield life-changing money. If DJ wants it he can throw some of that $180 million my way. As for relative value, a 3,000 hit baseball is probably rarer than a 500 HR baseball since all of the HR balls are hit into the stands but only 2 of the 3,000 hit balls were HRs. And it is a hugely popular 1st ballot HOFer Yankee legend. I'd be surprised if the ball stayed under six figures if it was auctioned off. Sorry, but I am not going to hand over my kid's college education to a millionaire for a few signed trinkets and some box seats. That was probably the worst real estate deal in NYC since the Indians and Dutch did their Manhattan deal.
Agreed. As much as I like Jeter and wouldn't want to appear to be an opportunist, $100,000 is life changing money to most of us. For someone who makes tens of milions of dollars a year, throwing some kid $100k would be like me taking $50 out of my wallet.

The box seats were a joke because they were obviously unsold seats anyway. The signed bats, jerseys and balls are nice, but won't pay off a mortgage or fund many family vacations.