View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default Larry Fritsch's Retail Store and Reprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
Didn't know they ever had a brick and mortar store. Not saying they didn't, just didn't know they did.
Larry and his son Jeff had a very nice retail store close to the banks of the Wisconsin River in the 1980's until Larry's passing. They had quite a few glass display cases with pre-war to modern cards displayed. The walls were filled with pennants, shelves of balls and other memorabilia. They maintained an area of hobby periodicals and referance books. This was a place to lean on the counter and talk cards with a very interesting person. There was an adjacent warehouse bldg. that housed the bulk of the inventory. In order to peruse a specific pre-war issue, a phone call 3 days (or so) in advance, was necessary so they could dig out and bring the material over to the retail store. Since the store was 2 1/2 hours south of me I only visited twice a year. On one occasion I asked to look over his Plowboys and 1910 Obaks. Upon arrival Larry threw the stack of Plowboys across and down the showcase like he was dealing cards in poker. Each of the cards was without a top loader and had thier prices afixed with post it notes. The obaks were in penny sleeves and in a cardboard box. Larry did not differentiate between 150 subjects and 175 subjects. Every card was the same price no matter the estimated grade. Regarding the reprint line....one of the frequent counter leaners was the Wausau Wi. area FBI special agent. Larry told him that some guy on the east coast was altering and selling his reprint 1947 Tip Top Bread cards as vintage. Agent Berg took this seriously and initiated an investigation that resulted in an arrest and conviction. I realize this post is very long winded but, Fritsch Cards posts occur here, and the old board, with some regularity. Larry could have been considered eccentric but he was honest and certainly "Old School". The store was great. Dennis