View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 01:16 PM

Default Investing in Collecting

Anybody do it? Being new to all this, I was unaware of all the business behind collecting. I gave my first card to PSA for grading recently and was kind of surprised to see a Nasdaq symbol on the back of the slab. Ok, I fancy myself a fairly astute investor, so I did a little research on the company. Jeez, over 9% dividend, and not an accidental dividend either. That's pretty good. Digging a little deeper, the company is talking about raising the dividend. Their financials are in decent shape and the management seems good, which tells me the price seems to be fair. It barely budged during last weeks stock sell off. They just paid their dividend, so buyers aren't taking profit and running now. Investors must feel like, "why would I sell a steady 9% return?", right?
On the face of it grading and authentication of collectibles seem to be growing in demand. This isn't their only business either.
When I brought my one card to the show I had to wait to submitt my card because guys were in the PSA line with boxes of cards.
I searched the forum about this but nothing came up. I'm probably the last to know about this and everyone else has owned this company for years.
If so, does anyone have any opinions? Fairly safe long term investment? Less risky than a higher yielding REIT? I'm not looking for advice, just opinions.

Ok, this is where someone is going to tell me why the stock is going down to $5, right?