View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 03:10 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I'm guessing you don't run your own business. Yes, it is extremely important to keep ALL customers happy--the funny thing about running a business is that you NEVER know the business that you lost. Even though he may be averaging near VCP, if he is losing even one high paying customer he is losing out on money and this thread and his responses have alienated at least one (Todd) and several other shave expressed their feelings towards not bidding with him.

"In other words, if you have a small business and your goal is $10K a week in sales, do you care if you have 10 customers that each spend $1000, or 5 customers that each spend $2000? No, you care about meeting your goals and making a profit."

This is very short-sighted as business doesn't work this way, why be happy with the 5 customers vs. the 10 when you could have had 11, 12 or 13 if you had just played your cards right and not pissed people off?
Actually I have owned my own business (Dealer Advertising Solutions, LLC) and I have worked for eBay and later served as a consultant to eBay Motors. However, you totally missed my point. Let me give you a real example. In Catererscards2006 last auction, he had a T206 Evers Cubs on Shirt PSA 5 that sold for $520. The VCP average is $528 and the last one sold on eBay for $504, so I think the card was in line with what it should have sold for. The auction had 19 bidders. My point is does it matter if the auction has 9 bidders, 19 bidders or 29 bidders as long as it sells for what it should? No, who cares about the number of bidders? The only thing that matters is the hammer price and I repeat the statement I made earlier. He hasn't missed a beat.