View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

Hanging out at a shop one time around 1980.

There was a small box of cards that had been offered to the shop and they'd looked it over. Late 40's, early 50's, maybe some earlier? Mostly in somewhat worn condition.

I got to preview it since I was one of the people that hung out constantly and was working on a 48 Bowman set.

There were some leaf baseball, and I noticed one that was one of the singleprints. When I made mention of that the shop guy got concerned and checked all the leaf cards. There were a few sps. Which changed the offer quite a bit, but the worry then was that the seller would think they were actually worth even more because of the change so soon after the original offer. But the box had been shopped around to a couple other places and they didn't want to be way low either. So the call was made. The seller was very happy, everyone else had missed the SPs so the new offer was a whole lot more.
I didn't get anything directly, but the shop was always very good to me.

I wasn't involved, but I saw another guy I hung out at take an altered coin back roughly 15 years after he'd originally sold it. No reciept, nothing except it would have been uncommon enough that he remembered the coin. Customer said it had come back as altered, he looked at it and agreed, then they both tried to recall the selling price. Which they both thought was roughly the same ammount. check written problem fixed. Total maybe 10 minutes. I learned a lot from that.

Steve B