View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Christopher Williams

And another major problem with the autograph hobby is that it isn't regulated or controlled. The only "regulation" are threads like this where knowledgeable collectors can offer their knowledge to others. And why are there so few of us that battle the producers and sellers of forgeries? One, we are outnumbered, and two, many of them work the intimidation angle. I can't count the number of stories I've read where a buyer of an autograph discovers he bought a forgery and when they attempt to leave negative feedback they are intimidated not to leave negative feedback because the buyer has threatened them with a lawyer response and the buyer backs off. I know I've gotten a little off track here, and I apologize, but I believe this is important to include in this particular thread. And speaking of regulating, how is it that anyone can call themselves an "authenticator?" Before the "authenticator" of the below autograph went into the authenticating business, him and his partner had to make a decision whether to start a hotdog stand business or become "authenticators." I think that says it all.

MATTY.jpg