View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reflections on 30 years of the Philly Show

Leon

You are always welcome to stay at the Hotel Zanidakis. The hotel rates are very reasonable. Needless to say, we will breakfast at Fred's diner.

Many have chimed in here with some great stories. In 30 years of great experiences doing the Philly Show, I have only two regrets to tell you of.

1st....circa 1985 at Willow Grove, a customer of mine tells me to hurry over to table #154. The dealer there has six T206 cards with DRUM backs,
and is selling them for only $100 apiece. It was Friday nite, things were quite busy. So, I did not get over to table #154 until Saturday morning.
Sure enough, there were still 4 cards with DRUM backs. All 4 were Minor Lgrs. and the cards were VgEx. So, I offered the dealer $350 for all four.
He said "no go". I deliberated for a few moments, then I walked back to my table.
I remember rationalizing in my mind as I walked away...."no big deal, I already had a DRUM back".
......BIG, BIG MISTAKE......

2nd....circa 1986 at Willow Grove, I always checked out Ron Oser's stuff. Ron would always show up with interesting and rare items. This time he
had two 1948 Bowman George Mikan cards in Ex to ExMt condition. Mikan was the last card I needed to complete my 1948 Basket Ball set of 72
cards. Ron had each card priced at $40. So, I bought one. Ron offered me the 2nd Mikan for $35. Foolishly, I said...."let me think about it, Ron".
The next day, I went back to Ron's table, but the 2nd Mikan was gone.
......VERY, VERY BIG MISTAKE......

Hey guys....what other investment in the past 25 years could you invest $40 in a colorful little piece of cardboard depicting a sports HOFer, that
would now be worth $4000 ?

Fortunately, those are my only two regrets at Philly. Unfortunately (in retrospect), in order to save $85 between these two deals, I lost big time.

Anyone out there have similar stories ? If so, tell us of your "regret moments" ? ?

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 12-28-2010 at 06:12 AM.