View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 PM
David McDonald

I was able to catch the last three innings this afternoon. What a pleasure it was to watch a ballgame just like I used to a half-century ago, glorious black-and-white, Mel Allen at the mike, Moose Skowron and Harvey Haddix in the glory of their times, no thundersticks or exploding scoreboards just the murmur of the crowd, no Tim McCarver. (I have a feeling that your average sportsfan of today without the old time connection would be bored silly by this broadcast). Only thing missing was the Ballantine Beer ads. Boy, how did we ever live without instant replay in those prehistoric times! What was particularly delightful was Bob Costas' panel of old players and their comments. I know that the game is available on DVD but do any of you out in Net54 Land know if the show as broadcasted today with the between-the-innings conversations with Dick Groat, Bobby Richardson etc plus the great locker room interviews (gotta love Gino Cimoli) would be included on the DVD? A heavenward tip of the cap to Bing Crosby for making it all possible.