View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default welcome and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrandon1977 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and just recently rejoined the baseball collecting world after a 15 year break. Obviously a lot of things have changed since my experience with collecting, probably the most being involvement of the grading companies.

So hoping I get some some comments around this process to bring me up to speed.

1. Are there preferred grading companies? I know this is open for opinion, but should I stick to a top 2-3 companies that seem to be the most popular / consistant?

2. If I am collecting a graded set (say the T206 or 52 Topps set) - is it important to collect the grades from the same grading company?

3. Any terms I should be familiar with? I was reading something about the "flip", I assume that is the tag line at the top with name, team, grade, etc?

4. Any other information you guys would share regarding the grading process / experiences?

Many Thanks!
Joe

Hi Joe
Welcome aboard our forum. As you and the other new members participate more it will become ya'lls board too. Overall we have a great community of very giving and compassionate (and passionate) collectors.

1. I think SGC, BVG and PSA are all decent companies and do a good job. Personally, I don't collect grading companies slabs I collect cards, so whatever slab (or raw) a card is in, doesn't make a lot of difference to me, though I do trust SGC and Beckett cards more, at the end of the day my main thing isn't the slab. Someone above said GAI is reputable. Well, they were reputable a long time ago, for a short period, but never got their act together. Their holdered cards bring far less than the other 3 mainstream companies cards. I would stay away from them until you know the nuances to look for. Many GAI cards are tainted (altered) and in their holders. If you send cards into be graded stick with the 3 companies mentioned. Personally, I like SGC and Beckett but many on this board like PSA too....

2. Personally, I collect cards. For me, and this is personal to each of us in what makes us happy, I don't care if I buy xyz card companies graded card. I buy the card. After I inspect it, in a slab or not, then I make a decision on if I want to buy it. I never make a decision on a card based on a grading company slab, I base it on the card. So any company or raw doesn't matter to me. That being said I do look at certain grading companies holder-ed cards more than others, before buying.

3. Read the board for some time and you will come up with the terminology.....flips, flipping, T-B (top to bottom), S-S (side to side), etc....are all terms you will commonly see on this board and in the hobby.

4. Lastly, and this is the most important thing of all imo. Collect what you enjoy. Don't collect based on what others think or enjoy for themselves.

take care and happy collecting
LL