View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdschulze View Post
In the last few weeks I've been forced by my wife to clean out the attic and get rid of several items. Instead of throwing them out, I posted a few on Ebay. It didn't take long to see that if I charged a fair amount for shipping, plus Ebay's listing fees, plus Ebay's final value fees, plus Paypal's fees then it was just not worth the headache to package it and drive to the PO to mail it.

What I've done now is start every auction at $.01, but I've set the shipping charges to what I think the item is worth. For instance, I've got a few limited edition prints that were appraised at $1200. I've got the start price at $.01 but shipping set at $799.00. The $.01 start price qualifies for a free listing and if the item sells for $2.00, then my Ebay fees are kept to a minimum. I've had a few Ebayers question the shipping but when I explain, they understand.
This is against ebay rules...it won't take long before someone will turn you over to ebay for excessive shipping charges. I don't know what ebay does about it though.