View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
A non-sports card story. But true collectors looking for the "Holy Grail" will appreciate the story. If you are not interested in non-sports just assume I'm referring to a T206 Joe Jackson.

The T64 McAlpin set is documented in American Tobacco Cards as a 48-card set of Generals issued around 1902-1905. While many "regular" Generals were depicted, it was odd that the most famous US General of all was not, Robert E Lee.

For over 100 years it was speculated that this card may exist, but if so why didn't it show up. Afterall, the most famous athletes or celebrities are the first to be kept.

About 6 years ago I notice a T64 auction on Ebay that didn't sell. It was for 12 T64 cards, most in VG or better condition that didn't hit the reserve. High bid was $700 or so. I only noticed it after the auction had ended when looking at other items. It was completely misclassified.

So I spent the next 2 months sending many emails to the seller trying to find out his reserve. No response. I don't even know if Ebay delivered the emails. I used every trick I could think of to get his direct email address. Then one day he emailed me back. It turns out someone (I assume the reserve underbidder) had purchased every card except 1, the Robert E Lee card. They couldn't agree on a price for that one. I said I was interested and he asked me to make an offer.

I debated on what to offer. If I went too low he may not reply (since he took so long already). I already knew that they couldn't agree on a price so he put a premium on the Lee card. And going too high is bad for me. Anyway, cheap beat out smart and I offered $250. I waited 3 long weeks for a reply without emailing him again. I just knew I blew it. Finally he said he would take $275. I decided not to call him immediately and tell him I'm taking the first flight down, but rather waited 2 days and calmly said, "sure".

I couldn't believe it when it came a week later. The only example known of the most popular general in one of the hardest sets to complete.

Great story.
JimB