View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Weisner View Post
How do the 8 SL proofs that were auctioned off to Keith several years ago fit into your pattern??? It seems as though they may have planned on more SLers at one time....
I haven't included the 8 proofs to this point because ATC didn't included them in the actual production.

Several of the eight played for a different team in 1908 (Fleet Mayberry didn't play anywhere) and all played for the team they represent on the proof at the beginning of 1909. Tim Dwyer moves from Jacksonville to Columbia in the same transaction that sent Manion to Jacksonville in early July. So these eight appear to follow the same timeline I proposed for the other 48.

If I were to try and fit the eight proofs into the existing set it would throw off the balance of the team distributions except in the case of the two Chattanooga players. Chattanooga is the only team from the South Atlantic League without a representative.

Adding 3 Jacksonville players, 2 Montgomery players, and 1 Danville player seems to upset the weight of each league teams representation to me.

Also the number 48 fits the 12 card sheet theory. There were only 34 cards in the original printing but as I've said before I don't think that was the original plan.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 07-02-2010 at 05:43 AM.