View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Marc

Do we know for certain which cigarette brands remained with which companies after the ATC break-up? My theory is that the T207's are a half-aborted kind of set that was cobbled together in the midst of a chaotic time for the ATC and the subsequent post-breakup separate companies. I'm sure there were many legal ramifications of what advertising backs were allowed to be displayed which may explain the relatively few different backs as compared to the T205 and T206 sets. Perhaps Broadleaf, Cycle, Recruit, and Napoleon remained with one manufacturer while the Anonymous cards (Coupon and another brand distributing from Factory 25?) and possibly Red Cross were assigned to a different company, thus the extreme scarcity of Red Cross and anomaly of lack of advertising on the Anons.

On Ted's theory, I know from reading the original anti-trust lawsuit that ATC was a large stockholder in Imperial Tobacco so perhaps the 1912 C46 set (which also lacks advertising and has never conclusively been proven to be an Imperial Tobacco release) was printed concurrently with the stylistically similar T207 set and a different print company besides ALC was used due to whatever resources were legally available to the sub-companies that were releasing these sets.

Last edited by marcdelpercio; 06-01-2010 at 05:41 PM.