View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

I'd just like to say that many people are taking these grading posts a bit too seriously.

Like it or not, grading has become a part of the hobby. Its sort of like umpiring in baseball. It is subjective, and that actually is in many ways what makes it interesting.

There will always be guys arguing down at the local bar after the game about whether the guy was safe or not, or whether that was a strike or a foul. Should the strike zone be expanded? Is that pitcher's move to first base a balk? Etc. Now I wouldn't barge into this conversation and say, "I don't want to talk about umpiring. I want to talk about baseball!"

This board is like the local watering hole for card geeks, we can hang out here and some like to discuss the umpiring of baseball cards. We are really arguing about the condition of the card, whether we think its VG/EX/NM/M etc, and the overall rules by which cards are judged. Before grading companies gave numeric grades, we had the label system, which many would argue about, and if grading companies all went away, some would still be here having heated conversations about whether a card is VG-EX or EX.

Now I admit my analogy isn't perfect, but my point is just that a card's condition is an aspect of the hobby that some people like to talk about. It isn't a threat to this board or the beginning of the downfall of all society.