View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potomac Yank View Post

To the Flipper Twins:
Please don't think that I'm one of the thin skins on this forum, because if you do, you will be making another one of your mistakes.

Let me start with the sonny boy from the Second City.
Lad, I've handled more high ended cards before you were out of diapers, and discovered the T206 set.
If you doubt that, just ask Lew Lipset, Mark Macrae, Leon's partner Scott Brockelman, Dan MaKee and Jim Rivera.

One of your post was about you going to a big show that had 150 tables.
Lad, I don't know how to break this to you .....

Back in the mid '80's thru the '90's, I would select a weekend and fly out of the Big Apple to a show ... let's say the West Coast ... I would fly out say on a Thursday to Long Beach, and then fly out to a Lee show in San Fran on Friday night.
Each show had anywhere between 600 to 1000 tables.
Lots of cards .. lots of choices .. lots to learn about them .. lots of dealers .. much to learn about them, and visa versa .. lots of cardoholics .. much to learn from each other.
It was at a Lee show in San Fran, that I picked up one of my biggest finds, just before I rushed out to the airport to catch my flight to NYC.
I'll spare you all the details, but I'll tell that it was an old box of chocolates, filled with over 800 of the nicest grade T's that I ever seen.
I had been working on a T206 set of whatever grades.
That box of better grade T206 & T205's, forced me to work on two sets.
The Beater, and the Better set.
I only need one to complete the better, and eight for full completion of the beater.

JP ..... you're almost a mirror image of the Second City Kid, but not quite.

From what I've heard, and listened to what's coming from the mouth of The Flipper Twins ... they are not dummies But ... they're trying awfully hard to be.

If they listened more, and talked less ... they might become usefull contributers to the community.

There's nothing wrong with being a Flipper, my problem with them is that they don't have the cojones to acknowledge the fact ... They are what they are.

Oh yes, before I forget .....
On two occasions I happened to stand up, and defend The Second City Kid when he was being jumped by the inhabitants of Slab Haven.

I now want to apologize to the warm, and kind inhabitants of Slab Haven for my thoughtless action.

There, I said it ... Carry on!

Im not here to "buddy up" with you Joe. This isnt Survivor where I feel compelled to form "alliances". You stood up for me because you thought you were right. I stated my thoughts on the financial aspect of the hobby because I feel im right. Futhermore, I never said I attended a "big show with 150 tables". I said it was a "big show with 150 DEALERS". Big difference there, and 150 dealers is a BIG show by anyone's standards.

Now lets delve into the affectionate term you use to describe me...flipper. My working definition of a "flipper" is one who is primarily interested in the short term profitability of a given area. Because I made a zero financial gain in the selling off of most of my cards, I cannot be classified as a "flipper" by MY definition. I simply redirected my area of focus, and shed off some items that no longer fit my plan. If thats considered being a "flipper", then I suppose the term can easily be applied to most members here, as im sure most members here have sold a card or two.

I have no problem with your other term of endearment for me....Second City Kid has a lovely ring to it! In fact, I respectfully request that you continue to call me that in all subsequent writings to me. However, although I am towards the younger spectrum on this forum (im 35), I wouldnt exactly classify that as being a "kid". But then again, I look at 18-19 year olds as "kids", so thats simply a matter of perspective I suppose.