View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
This is a card, not a house. It was for sell at a certain price. Yes, there could be harm in making an offer of above the asking price. Let's say there was another individual before you that wanted the card at the $1000 asking price and the two agreed to a deal. Then you come along and offer $300 more. The seller already sounds a bit shady, so sure he is going to take the extra $300 after he already had a deal. I am not saying that happened, but I can't think of too many reasons why somebody would offer more than the seller's asking price.

Surely you asked him in your initial email if the card was still for sale? If he said no and you offered $300 more to take it away from another buyer, then it sounds like you got what you deserved. I hope that is not the case. If he said yes that it was still for sale, then I just don't see why you would offer $300 more.

Am I the only one that finds it odd that someone would offer a seller 30% more than their asking price on a baseball card? After all, it was a fixed price ($1000) post, not a "best offer" post.
Also, This is the Internet. A bunch of invisable dealers. Love it or hate it...without the web, I wouldn't have the cards I own. The local dealer where I live does not sell pre-war cards. The web is the only way to obtain what I (e'hem) need. I have not been stung yet...but won't be surprised when it happens. Our only protection from fraud (or shady deals) is word of mouth. I commend the thread starter. Though I probably would have waited until the goods were NOT delivered before posting.