View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 PM

For myself, I like midgrade T206 HOFers with the tougher backs to lower the population numbers. In the long run, tough backs may not mean anything one day, but I am betting against it.

I like the T206 set because it is mainstream and anyone can afford to dabble in it. Goudey's and T206 are usually what make people turn the corner to prewar, as they are easy to get your hands on. People always like buying guys that they have heard of, so that is how the HOF part comes into play. I like the tougher backs because of the challenge involved in tracking them down. The combination of the three takes popular mainstream (aka liquidity through lots of buyers) to a higher level ($$ demand through HOF and scarce backs).

I enjoy the type card folks efforts, and say that is the way to make or lose big money, as sometimes there are buyers, and sometimes there are not. I don't mind putting money into my T206 HOFers with tough backs, as I look at them like a blue chip stocks with a little bit of upside potential. If you buy right you are not going to get burned to bad when you sell, as there will always be buyers for the BIG SET and HOFers. You may not make a lot of money, but I think loses can be kept to a minimum.

At least that is how I explain it to the wife (pretty well rehearsed!!),
Bob