View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 PM

Default My Chicago Show Experience....Drum Purchase!

Just got home an hour ago from the Chicago SunTimes show. Its the 1st sports card show (other than the 40 table Holiday Inn types) that I have ever been to. I went there with $3500 in my pocket and a simple goal....buy either a Drum, Uzit or Red Hindu (or any combo), and get out.

Well, 10 seconds after I walked in, I almost fell over! Right there in the very 1st dealer case in front of the entrance, sitting in the middle, was an Uzit! I secretly thought to myself, how could I be so lucky? What I failed to realize is that it was Goodwin's auction case, and the card was part of a complete set of T206 backs. They were all there, BL460, RH, Drum, even the Cobb. So I wasnt able to negotiate on that one....on to the next vendor.

Although there were a good 150 vendors there, and probably at least 30 who had T206 cards in their cases, I couldnt find any backs rarer than brown Hindu. Finally I stumbled onto 707's table and my eyes were immediately drawn to that sweet, soft purple color! 2850 was on a little sticker on the slab, which was a bit more than I wanted to spend on a Drum specimen. I talked to the dealer, Jim was his name, and we agreed to a cash price of 2500 if I wanted the card. At this point in time, I had seen far less than 1/3rd of the show, and my palms began to sweat. Jim told me there were none of what I was looking for except in the Goodwin auction. I told him I still wanted to look around before blowing my whole budget. Told him i'd be back if nothing caught my eye.

About an hour later (maybe even less) I found myself back in front of his table. I was an under bidder on the recent ebay Drum that sold for 2326 as my bid was 2200. I thought to myself, if I was willing to pay 2200 on a GAI 2, why not 2500 on a PSA 2? I also knew I woulda kicked myself all the way home had I not bought it....so I laid out 25 crisp $100 bills and havent stopped smiling since!

There were exactly 2 Drum cards at the show.....the one I nabbed and the one in the Goodwin collection. No other Uzits, RHs, or Lenox cards to be had either. I finally got my Drum!