View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 07:24 PM

Default There used to be decent card shops in SE PA.

There was a guy who ran "Classic Collectibles", first in the Exton Square Mall, and then in a strip mall off of Rt. 202 in Devon, who had a lot of material (cards, vintage and new, and coins). Unfortunately, he "retired" at least 15 years ago - I think he had a horse farm and sold the land to a developer and moved to Florida. No idea where the cards ended up.

About a decade ago, there was a small shop in Lancaster just off of the main drag that had vintage (I overpaid for Thebo for the T-206 set - he was my first Southern Leaguer). Nice guy, ok selection, higher end pricing. No idea if it still exists, as I haven't been back that way since.

Zern's Flea Market in Boyertown, PA, had an old hunchbacked lady about 10-15 years ago that sold cards. Rarely had anything vintage, but it was low grade and somewhat affordable (and Beckett price guide reliant). Again, no idea if she or someone else took over that booth.

Several smaller stores used to exist in Montgomery, Berks, Chester, and Lancaster counties, but are no where to be found. Too much new shiny stuff, the card recession of 1989-1991, and the advent of eBay (well, sites before eBay, like Teletrade, and the internet as a whole) ended most of the stores in PA to my knowledge.

I understand that there are some stores spread out in New Jersey. At the very least, there used to be a mall show circuit in NJ and PA that had 2 or 3 guys with decent vintage material. Maybe someone can help out here?

I'm in Delaware now, and aside from the occasional antique dealer or coin dealer having a card, nothing to speak of here, either.

Sorry I can't help you more. I know some people on this site live in SE PA and should be able to better shed some light on this.

Mike (18colt)