View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hey Dr.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdduet View Post
Leon,

I did a similar thing...I recall a few E95 Cobbs, Wagners, and Matty's I picked up and sold about a year later for 4 to 5x what I paid, not to mention a Sports Co. of America Ruth, some National Games, Tom Barker's, Delongs, T206 rare backs, etc--all of which sold at levels too high for me to ignore.

I was picking up National Game/Tom Barkers Joe Jax's (Ex or better) for a couple of hundred dollars each for a time....
Hey Dr.D,
I have to admit I got luckey at getting in at the right time AND at that time, if we remember, the stock market was soaring, the economy was soaring and everyone, it seemed, was fairly happy financially. You could just buy a technology stock and it was almost like shooting minnows in barrel (which I wouldn't do but it's a good analogy). Anything I picked, stock wise, just went up exponentially. Then I made a decision, after seeing the hobby growing with the internet, to put a lot of my savings into cardboard. As I said, I would NOT recommend that today....but it worked for me. Hey, sometimes a gamble pays off. The worse thing that could happen was I would have some great cards to look at and collect. Here is one of them I did this strategy with...it came from a Mastro auction and from the Montgomery collection. I remember bidding on the smaller version but after talking to (I think Kevin St.) I decided to wait on this larger type. I put in my bid of about 10k, after what the juice would be, and went to sleep. I got up the next morning and found my bid had stuck. I am not sure what it would go for today but I think it's safe to say it was a good "investment"..... best regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phunc1869peckandsnyder300dpi2.jpg (76.4 KB, 94 views)