View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Good thread.

I see what you are saying ctownboy but if what you said is true then cards should not have any value right now because of their lack of inherent value and world wide appeal. Not only do they have a strong current value, over the last 10-20 years many have had large monentary increases.

While I centainly don't know how cards will do in the future, I am happy to spend the amount of money I do regardless of what they will do (I fall into group 3, I collect cards but im very aware of the values and flip them when I choose).

I do not think cards make a good investment over the long haul but I believe the same for all collectible and with the investment market in such a mess it really is a unique storm as far as where to put ones investment money.

I do know that I have been collecting my little niche of exhibits and clemente cards for a long while and because of my knowledge in those area I have been able to outpreform the market in general for cards. I know the cards to stay away from that have been going down (PSA 8 topps clementes and common 47-66 exhibits), I pick up cards and flip that are priced too low and I know the cards I am ready to overpay for if they appear on the market (58 kahns, 68 venz topps, 31-32 ruth, 25 terry, 23-24 bottomly, etc).

I guess what I am trying to say is the only way to really do above market is to have an area where you are an expert and you can use that knowledge to your advantage. It does not mean you all always make money but you will cut your losses in a downward market and outpreform in an upward one. Granted I think this advice applies to all collectibles as well as investment markets. Knowledge is king.