View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Kevin S.

The Cobb card is very interesting and worth studying. Not only is it highly probable that the flip has either been completely faked or doctored (as discussed in several previous threads) but, as some have mentioned, the card looks to be altered as well. Not only does it appear to be trimmed but if you look at the back there is "a chance" that it has a rebuilt corner as well...top left on the back.

This caught my eye; the edge chipping on the back left side runs up to the point where there is a slight shadow. It then turns inward. On a good rebuilt corner a shadow will sometimes be seen under a halogen when angled at just the right position. Here is an example from the rebuilt corner page on my website:

The Cobb back is tough to tell because the scan is somewhat small. I took the corner and increased the image size and tried to get the correct color shading to make it easier to see...still tough though.

Not only does the chipping stop at the suspected shadow (dark line) with a blatant inward turn, the top edge also is shadowed to the point where a suspected rebuilt corner may begin.

Is that corner rebuilt? Hard to tell, it could just be reshaped to sharpen the corner but it is certainly something to consider. It would be great to see in person.

Kevin Saucier